Disclaimer

Before taking any action based on any info found on this website, please read my Disclaimer first!

Sunday 8 April 2012

Implantation of Fertilized Egg

From about a week after ovulation and onwards is when the 2WW makes me really antsy!

Usually pregnancy symptoms don't start before 6 dpo, but there are exceptions.  Before my early miscarriage I began showing symptoms that something was happening from 4 dpo (ie I had spotting) which has never happened before or since that cycle.  And there are women who claim to have other pregnancy symptoms so early as well.

But as I've read many times over, this is usually how it works:

After the egg is fertilized in the fallopian tube, the fertilized egg moved down the tube to the uterus and implants itself into the uterine lining / endometrium . . . once this happens the pregnancy hormone (hCG) is produced and so it is only after implantation that pregnancy symptoms begin to appear.

They say that on average implantation occurs between about 6-12 days after ovulation, but it can happen a little sooner, but usually not later, because between 12-16 days after ovulation your body has already prepared itself for menstruation to occur any day now, and it's highly unlikely for an unfertilized egg to not be discarded at this time.

There may be some symptoms of implantation, but not everybody gets them:
  • implantation cramps - some women feel slight uterine cramping at the time of implantation, similar to period cramps
  • implantation spotting or bleeding - a tiny amount of spotting or blood may occur for a day or 2 around time of implantation
  • some women have a noticeable temp dip on the day of implantation - this will only be noticeable if you're charting your temps
  • sometimes after implantation, there's another temp shift and your temps will rise even higher than your usual post-ovulation temps (this is known as a tri-phasic chart) and this is caused by increased progesterone production - not all women have this second temp shift though, although if implantation has occurred your temps will remain elevated (ie remain at your post-ovulation temps) and not dip like it will the day before or of menstruation.
Anyhoo, today is 6 dpo for me, so I'm in my antsy stage.  I can't wait to check my temps every morning in the hopes of seeing it remain elevated or jump to a higher level.  If you've been ttc for a long time, you'll know what I'm talkin' 'bout!  :)  But the best thing to do is find something to take your mind off of thinking about it the whole day - thank goodness I have hobbies that I love to do (reading, crafts, building puzzles, blogging, munching . . . haha).

No comments: