Disclaimer

Before taking any action based on any info found on this website, please read my Disclaimer first!

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Preparing for Pregnancy - Folic Acid!

I must admit, there's a teeny tiny part of me that's sort of happy that we didn't get pregnant right from the start.  WHY????? you say?  Well, because since we made the decision to have a baby, I've been doing soooo much research and reading about all things pregnancy related, and it's made me so much wiser on the topic, and as the months went by, I've had the opportunity to learn what I can do *before* conception to help improve my and baby's health.

I've always known that folic acid was a crucial supplement that one should take when pregnant, but what I didn't know at the beginning was that you need to begin taking this at least 3 months before conception...So I immediately began taking that supplement - it's been about a year now since I've started adding folic acid to my arsenal of vitamins, so I'm pretty sure I've built up an extra good reserve for baby. :)  So as soon as you decide to start trying for a baby, start taking folic acid!

And here's why you need to start taking folic acid before conception: according to several studies, taking 400mcg (0.4mg) helps to reduce the chances of neural tube defects in baby by up to 70%.  These defects relate to the underdevelopment and defects of the brain and spinal column...and what's more...these defects occur during the first month of pregnancy...when many women don't even know they're pregnant yet!

So you can see why folic acid is so important and why you need to start taking it long before conception.  With a varied diet we all get in some measure of folic acid, but to be on the safe side, take that supplement so that you can be sure you're getting enough of it.


No comments: